19th century book

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at MACUNLIMITED.NET
Sun Jul 24 12:38:39 UTC 2005

I would be grateful for information about a copy of the Tulsi
Ramayana that was shown to me yesterday.  It is a book of Western
type, nicely bound with what the owner, a bookbinder, recognizes as a
typical Indian binding.  The spine has RAMAYANA in gold lettering in
Roman script.  The paper is heavy, and watermarked MCE 1830.  The
text is in a Devanagari script so small and neat that the owner is
convinced that it must be printed.  I am almost equally convinced
that it is handwritten.

Is anyone familiar with books of this type?  For that matter, when
was the first printed edition of this work produced?

If it would be helpful, I will try to take a photograph.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK