Fw: Pudgalavada Buddhist Philosophy

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Sun Feb 20 20:04:54 UTC 2005

>>>I require assistance reviewing an article on Pudgalavada Buddhism. If
>>>

>>anyone
>>

>>>can help me in this endeavour, please respond to me off list:
>>>shyamr at sympatico.ca
>>>
>>>Thank you
>>>
>>>Shyam

Dear Shyam,

as this may also be of use for others, I am posting this to the list.
Here are a few additional literature hints that specifically deal with
pudgalavāda, though the (vast) literature on Buddhist anātmavāda of
course also touches upon the subject.

(Diacritics are encoded in utf8/Unicode, and may appear garbled
depending on your mail program.)

Cousins, Lance (1994): "Person and Self." /Buddhism into the Year 2000./
Bangkok: Dhammakaya Founda­tion, 15-31.

Thich, Thien Chau (1984): "The literature of the Pudgalavādins."
/Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies/ 7/1, 7-16.

Thich, Thien Chau (1987): "Les Reponses des Pudgalavādins aux critiques
des écoles bouddhiques." /Journal of the International Association of
Buddhist Studies/ 10/1, 33-53.

Thich, Thien Chau (1996): "The Literature of the Personalists
(/Pudgalavādins/) of early Buddhism." Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.

It would help to know more details about what kind of assistance you
would need, whether the article under review concentrates on a special
period or debate (early Buddhism, Abhidharmakosa, Tattvasamgraha, ....),
and so on.

Hope this helps for a start,

Birgit Kellner