elves: Indic counterpart?

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Thu Feb 10 21:03:28 UTC 2005

Artur Karp said, "In Polish tradition "small people" are called
"krasnoludki", which can be
translated as "little red people". It may be of interest that they are
believed to have their homes either in or near toadstools (amanita
muscaria)."

In Germany also, I think.  My nurse in Giessen  in 1947-48, when my
father was in the Occupation, did silhouettes and watercolors.  I have
one of a little white-bearded fellow in a red coat under an amanita.  He
also has ladybugs around him (small red beetles with black spots). While
we're on the latter, has anyone ever actually seen the red beetles or
bugs called indragopas?  Can one find a picture anywhere?

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Southern Asia Section
Asian Division
Library of Congress
Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732
fax 202-707-1724
athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library
of Congress.