WORD 2004 custom dictionary

James L. Fitzgerald jlfitzgerald at COMCAST.NET
Thu Dec 29 14:05:37 UTC 2005

Greetings,

The same problem plagued me with Word 2000 and 2003. After many failed
attempts to get any help on this from Microsoft, I finally came up with
this solution (for the Windows platform): Open and edit the "text" file
custom.dic with a "text editor," convert the file's font to Unicode and
save it. I used Windows' built-in text editor Notepad for this, which, I
was surprised to learn, had acquired Unicode capability at some point.
Make sure that either Office is not running when you do this edit, or
that you have temporarily "removed" the custom.dic file from the
"dictionary list." Once this font-change was made to custom.dic, the
dictionary began to work fine with all unicode character words as well
as the non-unicode ones. I hope this works on the Apple platform as well.

Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year, Jim Fitzgerald
University of Tennessee