Rathangaduta

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Tue Dec 6 13:26:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:43:35 +0100
  Daniela Rossella <ghezziem at TIN.IT> wrote:

> Dear lists, someone can kindly give me news about a
>certain Rathangaduta, of
> which I have the Sanskrit text, published in Mumbai in
>1857? It does not
> appear in any lists of dutakavyas presented in also very
>recent studies
> about the messenger-poems, like that of Lalita Sengupta
>(2003).
> I am eagerly looking for an English or a Hindi
>translation of this little

It will probably not help much but you find in the New
Catalogus Catalogorum, at least, two entries concerning
this work. It has been ascribed to Kalidasa. See

1. New Catalogus Catalogorum Vol. 4, Madras 1968, p. 67b,
s.v. Kalidasa
2. New Catalogus Catalogorum Vol. 3, Madras 1967, p.
266ab, s.v. Kavikanthapasa

According to these entries the Rathangaduta has been
printed along with a work called Kavikanthapasa. However,
the NCC does not list manuscripts for the Rathangaduta.

This printed edition is listed in the Catalogue of the
Sanskrit works in the India Office Library (now part of
the British Library):

[Rathanga-duta, attributed to Kalidasa]. Sri-Mahakavi
Kalidasakrtau Rathanga-duta-Kavi-kamtha-pasakhyau gramthau
... [Telugu char.]
Tenali : Rajata Press, 1924. - pp. [1], 2, 24. 18x12 cm
Shelfmark No. San B. 785 (m)

Furthermore, Sures Chandra Banerji does *not* deal with
this work in his: Kalidasa apocrypha / Sures Chandra
Banerji. - Varanasi : Chowkhamba Sanskrit Series Office,
1989 (Chowkhamba Sanskrit Studies ; vol. 102)

However, he mentions the above quoted edition in his
bibliography (p. 319).

We don't have the following work here in our library:

Dev, Narendra:
Meghaduta evam paravartti duta-kavya : Samskrta-sahitya ke
120 duta-kavyom ke kramabaddha sarvangina anusilana,
"Samskrtetara-sahitya mem duta-kavya-parampara",
"Loka-gitom mem sandesa-preshana", acarcita anya 100
duta-kavyom ke sucana se samanvita vistrta "prakkathana"
evam visishta "prastavana" se alankrta samiksha grantha /
lekhaka Narendra Deva ; sampadaka Rudradeva Tripathi. -
Mandasaura, Ma. Pra. : Sahitya-Samvardhana-Samsthana,
1990. - xiv, 29, 428 p.

According to the title it deals with more than 100 duta
kavyas. So it may not be improbable that it deals with
Rathangaduta, too.

All the best
Peter Wyzlic

--