Ganapati query and call for interns

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Tue Apr 12 23:40:49 UTC 2005

Look at the Library of Congress catalog under Ganesa (Buddhist deity), and you will find three books on Ganesa in Japanese. Also, there is Alice Getty's classic book on the deity, which I know deals with the god in Buddhism:

Gane´sa; a monograph on the elephant-faced god.  [2d ed.] New Delhi, Munshiram Manoharlal, 1971

I am sending you Joel, separately, a list of some other general books on Ganesa which might have something on his Buddhist forms but which I'm not sure would.  The file would be too long for the list.

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Southern Asia Section
Asian Division
Library of Congress
Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732
fax 202-707-1724
athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.

>>> rubberjoel at SAFE-MAIL.NET 04/11/05 3:57 PM >>>
Hello.  Can anyone point me to some books or articles discussing Ganesha as depicted/worshiped in Buddhist traditions?  I know Ruegg has done a little work on the subject but wasn't sure what else to suggest to this person.
Thanks,
Joel Bordeaux, Columbia