Stolen goods

Manring, Rebecca rmanring at INDIANA.EDU
Thu Sep 9 13:21:30 UTC 2004

Check the South Asia Manuscripts Project website:
http://www.crl.edu/areastudies/SAMP/index.htm

Rebecca J. Manring
India Studies and Religious Studies
Indiana University

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of jkirk
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 8:09 AM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Stolen goods

So far as preservation of Pala and Sena period sculptures in Bangladesh,
there is not now nor has there ever been any serious attempts at
preservation. Hundreds of prime pieces were sold out of the country, via
corrupt officials, in the seventies, and I doubt if any new, good
condition
finds from the fields will meet any different fate. After all, these are
Hindu idols---why should Muslims keep them around?
Joanna Kirkpatrick