Rsyashringa

Yaroslav Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Fri Sep 3 14:46:41 UTC 2004

Dear Lars,
E.W.Hopkins in his "Epic Mythology" (1915) mentions "SAvitrI, given in
marriage by her father the Sun to Brahman (BrahmA - Ya.V.)" and refers
1. to the passage quoted by you", and 2. to
"4, 22, 11; 13,169,9" of the  "S" - i.e.  Southern Recension in
Kumbhakonam edition.
As it seems, this is a continuation of the old Indo-European myth
(Marriage of the Sun's daughter). Another transformation of the same may
be seen in the story of  SAvitrI's sister, TapatI, married to a human
king (Mbh 1, 160 ff).
Hope this helps,
Yaroslav

Lars Martin Fosse ?????: