To whom is the Southern PaJcatantra attributed?

McComas Taylor McComas.Taylor at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Sep 1 05:47:59 UTC 2004

Dear Friends

Most (all?) `north-western' versions of the PaJcatantra are attributed to a
brahmin named ViSNuzarman at the court of a king Amarazakti in a city called
MahilAropya. I have in mind that the so-called Southern PaJcatantra is
attribed to brahmin at the court of King Sudarzana in PATalIputra.

Is this the case? What was the brahmin's name? The answer would surely be
in:

Hertel, J. 1906. Das südliche PaJcatantra. Sanskrittext der Rezension B mit
den Lesarten der besten Hss. der Rezension A. Leipzig: B.G. Teubner.
(Abhandlungen der phi-lologisch-historischen Klasse der Koenigl.
Saechsischen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften 24, no. 5).

Unfortunately I don't have easy access to this volume. Can anyone help me
out?

With many thanks in advance and greetings from the first day of Australian
spring

McComas