To whom is the Southern PaJcatantra attributed?

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Wed Sep 1 08:14:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:47:59PM +1000, McComas Taylor wrote:
> Most (all?) `north-western' versions of the PaJcatantra are attributed
> to a brahmin named ViSNuzarman at the court of a king Amarazakti in a
> city called MahilAropya. I have in mind that the so-called Southern
> PaJcatantra is attribed to brahmin at the court of King Sudarzana in
> PATalIputra.
>
> Is this the case? What was the brahmin's name? The answer would surely be
> in:
>
> Hertel, J. 1906. Das südliche PaJcatantra. Sanskrittext der Rezension B mit
> den Lesarten der besten Hss. der Rezension A. Leipzig: B.G. Teubner.
> (Abhandlungen der phi-lologisch-historischen Klasse der Koenigl.
> Saechsischen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften 24, no. 5).
[this is right, only "Rezension B" = Greek beta and "A" = Greek alpha]

The prose after three introductory verses runs like this:

asti sakaladevatAdhiSThAnaM sakalavidvajjananivAsaM pATalIpuraM nAma
nagaram | tatra sakalaguNopetaH sudarzano nAma rAjAsIt | ...

The brahmin's name is still ViSNuzarman.

> Unfortunately I don't have easy access to this volume. Can anyone help me
> out?

Hope it helps
Peter Wyzlic

--