Devanagari

Stefan Baums baums at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Oct 27 20:08:13 UTC 2004

> I have been looking for an Internet site which shows all
> ligatures used in Sanskrit.

Ulrich Stiehl has designed an OpenType Sanskrit font that attempts
cover all conjuncts that occur in a substantial corpus of Sanskrit
texts.  The font can be downloaded here

   http://www.omkarananda-ashram.org/Sanskrit/itranslator2003.htm

The manual for the font is at

   http://www.sanskritweb.de/itmanual2003.pdf

See p. 28 ff. for the corpus of covered texts and an alphabetical
list of all ligatures.  There is also a short paper at

   http://www.sanskritweb.de/mathe.pdf

that lists the “807 tatsächlich belegten Sanskrit‐Ligaturen” on
p. 4.

For some of the ligatures that he lists, I find it hard to think
of words that would contain them, but I have never felt compelled
to systematically verify his results (which could presumably be
automated by writing a script that searches for all the ligatures
on the list in texts available from GRETIL).

Best regards,
Stefan Baums

--
Stefan Baums