Pune Sanskritists

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Tue Oct 26 22:11:24 UTC 2004

Two other articles that discuss the emergence of modern Marathi intellectual tradition are:

Ellen E. McDonald, "English Education and Social Reform in Late 19th Century Bombay: A Case Study in the Transmission of a Cultural Ideal,"  Journal of Asian Studies, Vol. 25, No. 3, 1966, pp. 453-470.

Richard Tucker, "Hindu Traditionalism and Nationalist Ideologies in 19th Century Maharashtra," Modern Asian Studies, Vol. 10, No. 3, 1976, 321-348.

I would like to note that prominent Pune/Mumbai Sanskritists like Bhandarkar, Telang, Bhau Daji Lad, and Tilak were deeply involved in modern education movements and issues of social and political reforms.

Madhav Deshpande

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology on behalf of Madhav Deshpande
Sent: Tue 10/26/2004 3:45 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject:      Re: Pune Sanskritists

You may find some useful discussion on this matter in my article "Pandit and Professor: Transformations in the 19th Century Maharashtra" published in the Volume: The Pandit, Traditional Scholarship in India, edited by Axel Michaels, Manohar, Delhi, 2001, pp. 119-164; and in my forthcoming article "Aryan Origins: Arguments from the 19th Century Maharashtra" appearing in the Aryan Debate volume edited by Ed Bryant and Laurie Patton.  Also useful is the article by Mahadev L Apte, "Lokahitavadi and V.K. Chiplunkar: Spokesmen of Change in Nineteenth Century Maharashtra," in Modern Asian Studies, Volume 7, No. 2, 1973, pp. 193-208.  Such demands for change were perhaps more vocal in Maharashtra, and the Pune Sanskritists were perhaps just a subset of the Marathi intellectuals involved in the larger process of change.

Madhav Deshpande