Belvalkar's Uttararaamacarita

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Mon Oct 18 21:32:57 UTC 2004

Dear Dr. Dezso,

Thank you for your recapitulation of a dramatic story in the history of
Indology.

Prof. Belvalkar lived right next door to the Bhandarkar Oriental Research
Institute in a bungalow. That relatively small structure has now been
transformed into an apartment complex. Yet, fortunately, it still carries
its charming old name Bilva-kun:nja. As I recall, Belvalkar's descendents
(probably his grand-children in their fiftees) still live at the same
address. I also recall that some inquiries/efforts were made by Mr. W.L.
Manjul, the former librarian of BORI, to acquire Belvalkar's papers for
safe-keeping at BORI. Please inquire at BORI and request the helpful staff
there to forward your inquiry to Mr. Manjul and the members of the Belvalkar
family.

Incidentally, the notes or drafts, if they exist, of the unpublished part(s)
of Belvalkar's and Ranade's History of Indian Philosophy also should be
located and preserved.

With best wishes,

Ashok Aklujkar