Navadharma

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Nov 12 18:38:07 UTC 2004

One of the best known groups of Mahayana
scriptures is the navadharma of Newari Buddhism.
Though very widely mentioned in 20th c. Buddhist Studies --
it was the basis, e.g., for the first nine vols. of
the Buddhist Sanskrit Texts series of P.L. Vaidya --
no one to my knowledge has discussed the origins
and conceptual basis (if indeed there is one)
for the group.

Or am I wrong about this?
And whether or not I am, when do we first find
the phrase navadharma (or navaagama), referring to this
collection, turning up in Newar Buddhist usage? In what
contexts?

Matthew Kapstein