What Ten Young Men Did

isabelle.onians at CLAYSANSKRITLIBRARY.ORG isabelle.onians at CLAYSANSKRITLIBRARY.ORG
Wed Nov 10 15:37:30 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Last month I wrote to ask if any of you knew
whether any translation of the Da"sakumaaracarita
had attempted to reproduce the absence of labials
in Mantragupta's story. I will assume that the
lack of response means that none are known.

Today I have a further question for you. Do any
of you happen to know if there is truth to the
rumour that some elements of Da.n.din's narrative
have echoes in European literature? I am not
referring to European texts inspired by
nineteenth century translations of the book, such
as Mallarmé's "Le Portrait enchanté" (Oupahara
and Soundari) in his "Contes indiens."

I would be most grateful to learn if any of the
stories find their way into, for example,
Boccaccio's Decameron, or indeed to older
authors, such as Petronius or Apuleius. The four
women, particularly the evil ones, in
Mitragupta's responses to the raak.sasa's
questions seem like likely candidates.

I ask because I [think I] saw such an assertion,
once upon a time, in a long forgotten source.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind attention.

Yours truly,

Isabelle Onians