Devanagari

Dean Anderson dean_anderson at SACARI.ORG
Wed Nov 10 03:18:02 UTC 2004

Dear Andrew and Stefan,

Thank you for the reply. It's quite possible that I am confused because
it has been over two decades since I started working on Sanskrit fonts.
But in those days I was involved with all three aspects: designing
fonts, writing keyboard software and dealing with encoding issues. From
the beginning I tried unsucessfully to get Unicode to adopt a larger
character set. I understand why they made their choice but I still don't
agree with it. Some of my work was also used by Apple in the early days
of creating their Indian Language Kit.

Thus I was somewhat distressed to hear that, after all this time, there
is still not a workable cross-platform solution. Still it is wonderful
to hear that so much progress has been made and I congratulate you all.

The reason I asked my original question was because it seemed best to
start at the most fundamental level in trying to solve the problem with
the Macs and then move "up" from there. This is at the level of
encoding. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Sanskrit 2003 font
is, technically speaking, not actually a "unicode" font because it does
not support the standard unicode language assignments for the upper
values. It takes advantage of the larger font size of the unicode
standard to overwrite other languages with Sanskrit ligatures and then
utilizes the widespread software support for the unicode standard to
display the characters in common programs. This is a good solution and
one we also used in the bad old days when we only had 256 slots
available.

The reason I mention all of this is that the problem with Macs may be
due to the Mac also using some of those higher values for Mac "special
characters" that don't correspond to the PC/Linux values. This was
something we had to watch out for in the early days as well.

Do you know if anyone has investigated this? If it has been studied and
eliminated, then we could look into other reasons for the Mac problem.

Best,

Dean Anderson