SV: History of Sanskrit studies

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at EXPRESS.CITES.UIUC.EDU
Tue Nov 2 03:48:35 UTC 2004

Without wanting to blow my horn too much, the following two
papers, co-written with Rajeshwari Pandharipande, may be
useful too, although their focus may be a bit narrow.

The sociolinguistic position of Sanskrit in pre-Muslim South
Asia.  Studies in Language Learning 1:2.106-38, 1976.

Sanskrit in the pre-Islamic context of South Asia.  Aspects
of sociolinguistics in South Asia, ed. by B. B. Kachru & S.
N. Sridhar, 11-25.  (= International Journal of the Sociology
of Language, 16.)  1978.  [Condensed version of the preceding
item]

Cheers,

Hans Henrich Hock