Re. Sanskrit syntax problem: Double bind constructions

Arlo Griffiths A.Griffiths at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Mon Mar 15 19:35:01 UTC 2004

The dehalii-diipa- or kaakaak.si-golaka-nyaaya came up in a recent
discussion between myself and Werner Knobl. He provided me with the
following references:

Laukika-nyaayaanjali.h . A Handful of Popular Maxims
Current in Sanskrit Literature. Parts I, II & III, Collected by Colonel G.
A. Jacob: I 18 for kaakaak.si-golaka-nyaaya.h and I 30 for
dehalii-diipa-nyaaya.h.

Apte's Appendix E (pp. 52-76): kaakaak.si-golaka-  58b,
dehalii-diipa-  62b-63a.

A Vedic example seems to be the following Kuntaapa mantra, very corruptly
transmitted especially as regards accentuation:

AV ;Saunaka-Sa.mhitaa 20.135.12 (;Saa:nkh;SS 12.16.5, .RVKh 5.21.2)

tv;am indra kap;otaaya +chinnapak.s;aaya v;a;ncate |
+;sy;aamaaka.m pakv;a.m +p;iilu ca v;aar asmaa +ak.r.nor +bah;u ||

'You, o Indra, provided for the staggering pigeon whose wings were clipped
much ripe millet [cf. Bhaar;SS 6.18.1 ;syaamaake.su pakve.su] and
p;iilu-fruit, [and your provided] water for it.'

pakv;am here qualifies both the preceding and the following substantive
nouns.

Arlo Griffiths