Re. Sanskrit syntax problem: Double bind constructions

Hartmut Buescher buescher at HUM.KU.DK
Mon Mar 15 19:20:36 UTC 2004

Prof. Aklujkar has sent me an important addition to the present discussion
off-list. With his permission, it is now being shared with the list (note,
however, that he sent his mail early in the morning [i.e., before he saw the
other sugestions of Skt. names referring to double bind constructions]; it
was me who returned late).  HB

Dear Mr. Buescher,

In the following publication (a) to which Jan Houben refers in his footnote
to which you refer and (b) to which you yourself later allude indirectly,
you will notice that I have given the name "dehalii-diipa use of the
genitive" to the grammatical phenomenon of double bind construction.

>The Speijer centennial volume "Studies in Sanskrit Syntax", ed. by H. H.
Hock.
My article "Syntactic Gleanings ..." p. 4. or section 2.4.<

Recently, Prof. Albrecht Wezler observed in a seminar at Kyoto in which we
both participate that one could speak of the phenomenon also as
kaakaak.si-golaka use.

Subsequent to 1991, I have collected examples of cases other than the
genitive similarly used.

The sentence you have cited, however, will not do as a suitable example as
others have pointed out. Nor should one confuse the phenomenon with the
trope or figure of speech called diipaka.

You may post this note on the Indology list if you wish. Unfortunately, I am

unlikely to find the time needed to participate in further discussion.

With best wishes.

ashok aklujkar
Scholar-in-residence at Kyoto University until end of March 2004