stock phrase about women

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Mar 13 21:23:31 UTC 2004

OK, just one more idea about the original meaning of "vana-bha'nga" -- does
it have any connection with "patra-bha'nga, I wonder.  This is mentioned a
couple of times in the Kaama-suutra, although that brings up yet more
problems since different translators have their own ideas about what *this*
means.  If, as per some of the Chinese parallels, we might be looking at
"love-tokens" made from flowers, fruit etc, then there is also the charming
custom of tearing leaves into little sexually suggestive shapes, also
mentioned in the KS.

Stephen Hodge4