Snakes

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Thu Jul 15 02:19:36 UTC 2004

Robert Zydenbos wrote:

> For what it's worth (or perhaps: to confuse matters further): in Jaina
> iconography the kukka.ta-sarpa is the vaahana of Padmaavatii, [snip]
> So if the snake is question is not a wholly biological creature (or if
> its ontological status is doubtful), this iconographical angle may be
> worth considering.
The latter I suspect but thanks for the information -- there may be some
derivative connection but in the case of the text on which I am working this
is unlikely.  The context is clearly a straight medical one describing the
skills of a doctor in curing snake bites.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge