graaha/nakra/makara

John Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Sat Feb 14 16:01:31 UTC 2004

This is a very interesting suggestion, a possibility that I had never
considered. However, I must say that I have exactly the same
objections to the Gangetic dolphin as I cited for the Gharail, "The
snout is far too long and slender ... etc.

The discussion has led be to perform a detailed analysis of our
complete photographs (almost 300) of the Sanchi 2 vedika.  Without
being able to send you the attachments this is a bit awkward (Monday
I'll see if the archive personnel have time to make a small website)
but I have some comments to make that clear up the issue for some.

I have the following observations: All representations of ordinary
animals on Sanchi 2 are very realistic and the anatomy of the
respective creatures, mostly elephants, horses, lions, bulls, and
humans is completely understood and portrayed in a naturalistic
manner. Composite animals of several types, centaurs, leogryphs,
elephants with antlers, and several others, are also easily
determinable as to their respective components except for one
feature, a leaf-like convention that appears to be a wing on a few of
composite creatures. From these observations it appears that within
the local conventions of the time, the artists were familiar with the
fauna of their environment and able to convincingly portray what they
chose as models. more importantly they appear to have been absolutely
consistent in this methodology. Even for mythic creatures the models
are easily determinable (this, by the way, has been true since
Harappan times and thus it fits the pattern of "continuity" in the
Indic material cultural record).

This leads me to the following conclusion regarding makara
representations at Sanchi stupa 2. The head and fore quarters are
those of an elephant without tusks and the hind quarters are those of
a finned fish although no scales are shown. The tail shape is
vertical like that of a fish and two of the three examples actually
have rear fins as well (cetaceans have horizontal tail flukes and no
rear fins-like appendages).

These observations do not address later methods of rendering makaras.
Over time they in great ornamental arrays. One of these, by the
fifteenth century artist Jivarama was drawn in the N.S. 555 (1435)
sketchbook (now in the S. K. Neotia Collection) and was included as
part of a throne back  to Rakta Ganapati that he painted for Peljor
Sangpo at Gyantse. See Dina's and my Circle of Bliss Catalog, pp
495-7 or at:

   http://kaladarshan.arts.ohio-state.edu/exhib/circleofbliss/exhibition.html

(you will have to enter the exhibition website and go to section 13,
then to the second item in the section, then to the Full Screen Image)

Thank you all for the fun you have given me in reviewing something I
have not thought much about for many  years.

John