graaha/nakra/makara

John Brockington J.L.Brockington at ED.AC.UK
Fri Feb 13 09:23:26 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Can anyone point me in the direction of more recent studies of any of these
three terms than Vogel's "Errors in Sanskrit Dictionaries" in BSOAS 20?  In
that he shows that _makara_ means a crocodile but has only passing reference
to the other two terms, which are usually thought also to mean the
crocodile.  What gives me cause for hesitation over this is that there occur
dvandva compounds of these terms, which to my mind indicates that, though
similar, they are not identical.  [Specifically, in the Ramayana, we find
_nakra_ and _makara_, and also _graaha_ and _nakra_, so linked, while I
detect indications that _graaha_ is a riverine animal but _mahaagraaha_ is
marine.]  Also, while I am about it, what is the Sanskrit term for the third
main crocodile species, the gharial/gavial?  Does anyone know of any
relevant literature?

Yours

John Brockington

Professor J. L. Brockington
Secretary General, International Association of Sanskrit Studies

Sanskrit, School of Asian Studies
7-8 Buccleuch Place
Edinburgh   EH8 9LW        U.K.

tel:  +131 650 4174