Hindi OCR --> Sanskrit OCR

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Mon Feb 9 15:07:50 UTC 2004

> Do any of you know of a commerically available scanner program that can
> handle Hindi? (Or for that matter: a non-commercial program)

Sorry, I don't know of any such programme. But let me take the
opportunity to draw attention to an OCR programme for Sanskrit in
Devanagari. It was developed by Oliver Hellwig at the Institute for
Indian Philology, Freie Universität Berlin.
Further information can be obtained from:

http://www.sanskritreader.de

The programme is still being improved, and offers of collaboration
are welcome, I understand. It is a great help in digitizing Sanskrit
texts! Several texts he digitized with SanskritReader are available
on GRETIL, by the way.

Best regards
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Göttingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian
Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm