Citta

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Aug 31 12:42:45 UTC 2004

Matthew Kapstein wrote:

> > In fact I have doubts about the pre-Buddhist credentials of
> > ChAndogya VII, at least in the form in which it has
> > come down to us.
Although far from being an expert in the Upanisads, I did get a gut feeling
that there is something odd about this passage.

However, my present concern with citta concerns the various etymologies
proposed in (Buddhist) commentorial literature --CI, CIT or CINT and the
like. I am interested in the way different derivations are used to underpin
various doctrinal positions.  I suppose a similar diversity can be observed
in non-Buddhist commentorial literature so I was wondering which derivations
are older than others.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge