Fwd: Re: Question on Marathi phonology--Second Try

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at EXPRESS.CITES.UIUC.EDU
Sun Aug 22 21:36:15 UTC 2004

As it turns out, Madhav, in Marathi words of more than one
syllable, long and short [u] have merged to short [u] (and
similarly for the [i]-vowels); see Jules Bloch, Formation
..., §44. So that takes care of the length problem (and shows
that the concern in my earlier message about vowel length
does not apply to Marathi).

Bloch, incidentally, in his index under tuTNeM directly
compares Panj. tuTT-, Hindi tUT-, and derives all from Skt.
truTyati (via Pkt. tuTTai).

All the best,

Hans