couldyouhelp VDhottP? + Seminar on MBh

Christophe Vielle vielle at ORI.UCL.AC.BE
Thu Sep 11 08:12:47 UTC 2003

The "standard" (and in fact only complete) edition of the VDhottP is the
Venkateshvara Press one (V.S. 1969/A.D. 1913; about the defaults of which,
see Hazra's Studies in the upapur-a.nas I, 1958, pp. 155 sq), a reprint of
which is available at Nag Publishers with an index of the beginnings of
verses. Priyabala Shah has produced a bit better "crit." ed.  of the third
kha.n.da (citras-utras etc.) in two vols of the Gaekwad's Oriental Series
in Baroda (nos 130 and 137), and has recently published an English
translation of the whole work (3 vols, Delhi, 2002, Parimal Sanskrit Series
51). The latter seems not to be aware of A. Gail's important researches on
the work (e.g. discovery of quotations from Var-ahamihira -  cf. already
Kane, HDh/S 5/2 pp. 877-78, which means around 550 A.D. as the terminus
post quem, contra Hazra 1958 - the 7th century appears in fact as a more
reasonable date for the work). As Prof. Gail stated at the last WSC: "of
utmost importance would be a critical edition of the VDhott, for the two
available editions are based on late and corrupt manuscripts" .

Dr.R. Nagaswamy, former Director of Archaeology, Tamilnadu and Former Vice
chancellor of the kanchipuram university, informs me that he is organising
a International Seminar on Mahabharata at Kanchipuram from 24th to 28th
Dec. this year. The theme is on the impact of Mahabharata on the religious
and artistic life of the people of India and South East Asia.
He would be happy to send further information to the persons interested who
might be visiting India at that time and  could adjust their itinery to
attend the Conference.
The same  informs me that he had already organised an International
conference on Arts and religion in 2001 at Chidambaram that was well
attended,  of which the papers are published under the title of Foundations
of Indian Art.
His e-mails:  nagaswamy at msn.com or nagasamy at xlweb.com
<<http://by4fd.bay4.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?curmbox=F000000001&a=d53
3c257e8a3bde8ab6875f9a3972d06&mailto=1&to=tamilartsacademy at yahoo.com&amp
;msg=MSG1062931457.28&start=1769738&len=4335&src=&type=x>tamilar
tsacademy.com

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>I would be grateful if someone could help me with the following information:
>
>1)      I understand that Vishnu Dharmottara, a 5th century Purana (?), is
>in three parts.  Is there a “standard” edition of these
>volumes?  I have
>come across English translations of either parts of or only the last part
>(Chitrasutra) of the Purana?  I would be keen to know whether the entire
>text is available in translation.
>
>2)      Is there any extended critical work (apart from Stella
>Kramrisch’s
>introduction) on the Chitrasutra in English?
>
>3)      Could some one suggest me what kind of readings are available on the
>Sutra genre?  Is Louis Renou’s “Sur le genre du sutra dan la
>literature
>Sanskrite” available in English translation?
>

>Let me acknowledge my gratitude to you in advance for your help.
>
>D. Venkat Rao
>School of Critical Humanities
>Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages
>Hyderabad
>India 500007

Dr. Christophe Vielle
Centre d'Etudes de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud
Institut orientaliste
Place Blaise Pascal 1
B - 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM
Tel. +32-(0)10-47 49 54 (office)/ -(0)2-640 62 66 (home)
E-mail: vielle at ori.ucl.ac.be