compounds of opposites?

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Tue Sep 9 01:29:56 UTC 2003

v.rddha-yuvatii (with a short "i" at the end in the P.L. Vaidya edn
accessible to me) is probably not a compound of opposites but a cd. on the
pattern of V.rddha-manu (the indices to P.V. Kane's History of
Dharma-;saastra list several such V.rddha- texts/authors),
V.rddha-vasu-bandhu etc.

I am not aware of any focused study of this use of v.rddha. However, from
what I have read here and there, I think a meaning like 'more extensive,
larger' cannot be ruled out, just as there may be some support for a meaning
like 'senior, older.' Possibly, both the meanings were intended if one goes
along with Yudhi.s.thira Miimaa.msaka's view, expressed in his Hindi work
_Sa.msk.rta Vyaakara.na ;saastra kaa itihaasa_ that the earlier forms of
important Indian texts were generally larger than their forms surviving
later or accessible to us.

Thus, the basic meaning of v.rddha-yuvati could have been 'an older/stronger
young woman, an experienced female who had not lost her youthful strength.'
Such a meaning is not incompatible with the context which minimally requires
that the woman spoken of as v.rddha-yuvati be capable of helping in another
woman's delivery of a child.

ashok aklujkar