wooden temple architecture

DEVI IFP deviprasad at IFPINDIA.ORG
Mon Oct 13 02:49:37 UTC 2003

Deviprasad Mishra
Research Assistant
French Institute,
#11, St Louis Street
P. Box - 33, Pondicherry - 605 001
Ph - 0413 - 2334168/2331307, Ext - 125
Fax : 91-413 2339534
Email - deviprasad at ifpindia.org
----- Original Message -----
From: John Huntington <huntington.2 at OSU.EDU>
To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: wooden temple architecture

The time frame is important.

Here at the Ohio State University,we have done a
great deal of study (not much published I am
afraid) and have a dissertation by David Efurd in
progress on early stone copies of wooden
architecture. Virtually every book on early Indic
architecture has at  least a recognition of the
phenomenon.

There are some surviving ca 10-12th century
temples in Chamba and partial wooden temples in
Ladakh.

On wooden (and brick) temples in the Kathmandu
Valley  there are several studies covering the
period from ca 1400 to the present.

For later south Asian temples in wood, I have not
done any work on that material. although there is
a tradition of partial wooden temples in Kerala
to the present day.

If any of the areas I have mentioned above are of
interest please contact me and I will put
together a brief bibliography.

--
John C. Huntington, Professor
    (Buddhist Art and Methodologies)

huntington.2 at osu.edu
Phones:
Direct Line to office (614) 688-8198
Main Department Office: (614) 2927481
Fax: (614) 292-4401

Please visit the Huntington Archive website at
http://kaladarshan.arts.ohio-state.edu