Announcement of New Online Library

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 9 13:09:46 UTC 2003

Thanks to B. Mahony for adding a new online
research tool. So far I could not install the
required DjVu software so I could not yet see the
texts.
As for the name of the library, following the
rules and the available meaning indications we
may arrive at a contrary meaning. Looking at the
compounds starting with mukta- in MW I found that
in those where the second member refers to a
concrete object accessible to sense perception,
such as vasana- "cloth", mukta does indeed have a
meaning equivalent with vigata or apagata or
tyakta. However, if the second member refers to a
mental or psychological entity, such as cetas- or
aatman-, the compound is only recorded as meaning
"liberated", while it is either bahuvriihi "whose
soul is liberated" or tatpuru.sa "liberated
soul".
I think the undesired interpretation will
therefore not occur to the one who is familiar
with these divergent usages of mukta. From the
website it is moreover clear that a reference to
the name of the inspirator of the institute
(Muktananda) is intended.
Jan Houben