Vedic accent marks and anusvaras

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sat Jul 5 20:45:17 UTC 2003

While listening to recorded and actual recitation of various Vedic reciters from different parts of India, I have noticed how the so called naasikya or ranga is pronounced differently.  For instance, for the word saMhitaa, one hears sa~vhitaa in Maharashtra, but other variants are sagunghitaa, sa~ghitaa etc. where the degree of nasality varies considerably.  Consider the fact that Panini derives the words sahita and saMhita both from sam+hita (samo vaa hitatatayo.h), also satata and santata from sam+tata, with an optional deletion of M.  This may be taken to reflect the range of nasality from full to zero in various dialects of Sanskrit.

                                                                                Madhav Deshpande