Internal sibilant-sandhi after the i-vowel

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Jan 30 11:28:55 UTC 2003

By Panini's rules, one cannot have viSabhAga.  After upasargas like vi, s can change to S only if it is the initial of certain verb roots, for exampe vi+sIdati>viSIdati.  The element 'sa' in sabhAga does not occur in the same category.
                                                                                   Madhav Deshpande

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Matthew Kapstein [mailto:mkapstei at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU]
	Sent: Thu 1/30/2003 4:34 AM
	To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
	Subject: Re: Internal sibilant-sandhi after the i-vowel

	So far as I can make out, the operative rules, PA.nini VIII.3.55, 57, 59,
	specify that the change takes place when the s occurs in an Ades'a or
	pratyaya, which is not the case with respect to the initial s of
	sabhAga. Hence, the dental should remain. But this with the
	caveat that a second opinion from one more specialized in
	vyAkara.na would be useful.
	Matthew Kapstein