16.405 Versioning Machine beta release (fwd)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Jan 9 12:24:47 UTC 2003

This announcement may be of interest to those of us interested in critical
editions.

DW

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:05:48 +0000
From: "Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty
    <willard.mccarty at kcl.ac.uk>)" <willard at lists.village.virginia.edu>
To: humanist at Princeton.EDU
Subject: 16.405 Versioning Machine beta release

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist at princeton.edu

         Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:39:28 +0000
         From: "Susan Schreibman" <ss423 at umail.umd.edu>
         Subject: Beta Release of the Versioning Machine

Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH) is pleased to
announce the beta release of The Versioning Machine (VM) 1.0.

The Versioning Machine is a software tool designed to display and compare
multiple versions of texts. The display environment seeks not only to
provide for features traditionally found in codex-based critical editions
(such as annotation and introductory material), but to take advantage of
opportunities of electronic publishing by providing a frame to compare
diplomatic versions of witnesses side by side, allowing for images of the
witness to be viewed alongside the diplomatic edition, and providing users
with an enhanced typology of notes. The VM is TEI conformant and utilizes
parallel segmentation encoding.

The Versioning Machine is now ready, and we welcome beta testers. To aid
with the encoding process, we provide several sample encoded texts as well
as documentation in the Download Zip.

To register and download the beta version please go to
http://www.mith2.umd.edu/products/ver-mach/
and follow the link to "Download".

Please send any comments and suggestions to ver-mach-users at dev.umd.edu
Susan Schreibman, Amit Kumar, eriC White, Jarom McDonald, Lara Vetter