2 956 900 vessels (+ "k.sutila")

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Feb 25 15:06:32 UTC 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Christophe Vielle wrote:

> I take the opportunity of this message for recalling what was the main
> question of my original message, assuming that there is at least some
> people learned in medical literature on this list...
>
> Could someone help me in giving the Sanskrit text of the verse of
> Vaagbha.ta (the Elder)'s A.s.taa;ngasa.mgraha, /saariirasthaana 5.59
> (reference from Meulenbeld's HIML), which gives the total amount of the
> vessels in the body as being 2 956 900.

In my edition of AS, Vaidyanaatha Aayurveda Bhavana Praaivet. Li.,
Naagapura, 1989 (1st printing)), with vyaakhyaa by Laalacandra"saastrii
Vaidya and intro. by Raghuviiraprasaada Trivedii, the vers you want is in
Sarirasthana 5.93:

siraadhamaniimukhaanaa.m tva.nu"so
vibhajyamaanaanaamekonatri.m"sacchatasahasraa.ni nava ca "sataani
.sa.tpa~ncaa"saani bhavanti|
taabhirida.m "sariira.m gavaak.sita.m pinaddhamaatata.m ca ||93||

In Kimjavadekar's 1938 ed, this is verse "saa.5.115, and it reads the
same.

Best,

Dominik