Pancakanya

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon Feb 10 21:37:53 UTC 2003

OFF THE LIST

Dear Alf,

Is Bhattacharya in DC?  If so he could examine our eds. of the Purana.
I really don't have time to do so.  LC has 15 eds. inc. translations.

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Southern Asia Section
Asian Division
Library of Congress
Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732
fax 202-707-1724
athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library
of Congress.

>>> beitel at GWU.EDU 02/10/03 04:14PM >>>
Dear Colleagues,
I have been asked to forward the following note from Pradip
Bhattacharya, and
would, indeed, be grateful for more on the matter myself, and for any
further
references (I do not have a copy of the BP) or information. With
thanks,
Alf Hiltebeitel

=====

I wonder if you could possibly help me out to track down a reference.
This is
the sloka celebrating the panchakanya, viz.

Ahalya Draupadi Kunti Tara Mandodari tatha
panchakanya svaranityam mahapataka nashaka

The problem is to find out where it occurs. One reference cites the
Brahma
Purana, 3.7.219. Can anyone check up this reference? If found, can you
let me
know the context in which it occurs, who utters the sloka and why?