Pancakanya

beitel beitel at GWU.EDU
Mon Feb 10 21:14:39 UTC 2003

Dear Colleagues,
I have been asked to forward the following note from Pradip Bhattacharya, and
would, indeed, be grateful for more on the matter myself, and for any further
references (I do not have a copy of the BP) or information. With thanks,
Alf Hiltebeitel

=====

I wonder if you could possibly help me out to track down a reference. This is
the sloka celebrating the panchakanya, viz.

Ahalya Draupadi Kunti Tara Mandodari tatha
panchakanya svaranityam mahapataka nashaka

The problem is to find out where it occurs. One reference cites the Brahma
Purana, 3.7.219. Can anyone check up this reference? If found, can you let me
know the context in which it occurs, who utters the sloka and why?