at risk again

Artur Karp karp at MERCURY.CI.UW.EDU.PL
Mon Feb 10 12:42:34 UTC 2003

At 04:07 2003-02-10, you wrote:

>Not being an expert, I still try. Can anyone point me to a Sanskrit source
>that gives translations into English of animal names in Skt to their common
>or biological or both names in English?
>
>Not much of Indian birds or flowers in Monier-Williams it seems, nor on the
>Capeller online or Cologne online lookup machines.
>
>Thanks
>Joanna Kirkpatrick

Dear Joanna,

Not much additional advice re: animals & birds Sanskrit and biological names.

As far as botany is concerned, my constant companion is:

Chopra R.N., Nayar S.L., Chopra I.C., Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants,
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, New Delhi 1956, 330 pages. (On
pp. 263-318 Index of Common Vernacular Names [including Sanskrit])

and

Chopra R.N., Chopra I.C., Varma B.S., Supplement to Glossary of Indian
Medicinal Plants, Publications & Information Directorate, New Delhi 1969,
120 pages.

No photographs or drawings of the plants, though. Which is annoying. But
otherwise a mine of dependable information.

Regards,

Artur Karp

Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit and Pali

University of Warsaw