New IPSAS 4: Laghukathâ , a Hindi Genre, by I.V. Sarma

Thu Feb 6 06:12:26 UTC 2003

It is with great pleasure that we announce another volume of the series

Indian Philology and South Asian Studies (IPSAS)
ed. by A. Wezler and  M. Witzel,  vol. 4 :

Ira Valeria Sarma
The Laghukathâ
A historical and Literary Analysis of  a modern Hindi Prose Genre

Berlin/New York: de Gruyter 2003
pp. XII , 344
ISBN 3-11-017593-2

This books deals with a modern prose genre, including its early history and
development since c. 1900. It concentrates on  the recent flourishing of
the Laghukathâ since c. 1970 and discusses its development as an
independent genre, the authors, their intentions, the means of publication.
The main focus is on literary analysis: content, themes, protagonists,
space and form; an extensive chapter deals with style.

for more on IPSAS see: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/ipsas.htm

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm