couldyouhelp?

venkat@ciefl.ac.in venkat at CIEFL.AC.IN
Fri Aug 15 19:02:51 UTC 2003

Dear Colleagues,

I would be grateful if someone could help me with the following information:

1)      I understand that Vishnu Dharmottara, a 5th century Purana (?), is
in three parts.  Is there a “standard” edition of these volumes?  I have
come across English translations of either parts of or only the last part
(Chitrasutra) of the Purana?  I would be keen to know whether the entire
text is available in translation.

2)      Is there any extended critical work (apart from Stella Kramrisch’s
introduction) on the Chitrasutra in English?

3)      Could some one suggest me what kind of readings are available on the
Sutra genre?  Is Louis Renou’s “Sur le genre du sutra dan la literature
Sanskrite” available in English translation?

Let me acknowledge my gratitude to you in advance for your help.

D. Venkat Rao
School of Critical Humanities
Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages
Hyderabad
India 500007