Fw: H-Asia: Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity

Mitra Ara mitraara at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Apr 21 01:45:25 UTC 2003

religions, Zoroastrianism in particular, I like to offer few words.  It is
believed that Zoroaster was the first to teach the doctrines of the Last
Judgment, Resurrection, and Heaven and Hell.  These doctrines became
familiar articles of faith to mankind through borrowings by Judaism,
Buddhism, Christianity and Islam.  The concepts of Hell and Heaven occupy a
noticeable chapter in Zoroaster's thought.  Zoroaster describes hell as a
place of torment: "the dwelling-place of Worst Purpose", where the wicked
soul endures a "long age misery, of darkness, ill food and the crying of
 woe", (Avesta,Yasht 32.13 & 31.20).   Hell is also described as "worst
Existence", "House of the Lies", "House of the Worst Purpose".

Mitra Ara

Ph. D. Student

South Asian Studies

UC Berkeley, California