swams

mccomas mccomas at CRES.ANU.EDU.AU
Sun Oct 13 23:48:01 UTC 2002

Dear Friend

Swans are very rare or vagrants in India. When the texts mentions ham.sa,
they almost certainly mean the wild goose. I think bar-headed goose, Anser
indicus, is the best bet. See http://www.scz.org/animals/g/bhgoose.html

The romantic European translators of the eighteenth and nineteenth
centuries preferred 'swan' to 'goose' for their own cultural reasons.

Yours

McComas