Buddhist verses

Harunaga Isaacson harunaga at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Fri Nov 1 18:33:07 UTC 2002

Quoting Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at UMICH.EDU>:

> Your first citation seems to refer to parts of verse 5, 1st Kozasthaana of
> Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakoza:
>         anaasravaa maargasatyam trividham caapy asamsk.rtam /
>         aakaazam dvau nirodhau ca tatraakaazam anaav.rti.h //

aakaa"sa.m (NKP verra's aakaa"sau was I suppose a typo) dvau nirodhau ca
nitya.m trayam asa.msk.rtam is exactly  J~naanasaarasamuccaya 21ab (though I
wouldn't exclude that there might be earlier occurrences). (See K. Mimaki's
contribution to Jonathan A. Silk (ed.): Wisdom, Compassion, and the Search for
Understanding: The Buddhist Studies Legacy of Gadjin M. Nagao. Honolulu 2000.)
I have seen some other citations of the line (and of the whole verse) in
Buddhist tantric texts.

> sahopala.mbhaniyamaadabhedo niilataddhiyo.h/ (NS  p.3978)

This famous, very often quoted, line is Pramaa.navini"scaya 1.55ab.

Aside from the Abhidharmako"sa, the other text that NKP verra should check is
the Tattvasa.mgraha of "Saantarak.sita.

> buddhipuurvavinaa”so hi pratisa.mkhyaanirodhagii.h/ (VTNT.p.205)

for instance looks like a variant (or corruption) of Tattvasa.mgraha 2323cd.

Excuse brevity of reply and incompleteness of bibliographical references, due
to lack of time.

Harunaga Isaacson