Main Skt Mss -- "Saantideva's BCA

Richard Mahoney rbm49 at EXT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Thu May 30 01:28:55 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 12:27:13AM +0100, Stephen Hodge wrote:
> Richard Mahoney wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to find where the main Skt Mss of "Saantideva's
> >Bodhicaryaavataara have gone to ground.
>
> Can you get access to "Bongo Butten no Kenkyuu"  Vol III Ronsho (A study of
> Sanskrit Buddhist Texts -- Vol III Shaastras), Heirakuji 1990  ?  A
> knowledge of Japanese is useful but not essential to get some benefit from
> this invaluable work -- most ms details are given in English.  This book
> lists full details of over 40 mss (including commentaries with the verse
> embedded).

Thank you for this suggestion. I've just checked our catalogue and it
seems that it has recently appeared:

1. Title:           Bongo butten no kenkyu / Tsukamoto Keisho,
                    Matsunaga Yukei, Isoda Hirofumi hencho.
   Other title:     Descriptive bibliography of the Sanskrit Buddhist literature.
   Author:          Tsukamoto, Keisho, 1929-
                    Matsunaga, Yukei, 1929-
                    Isoda, Hirofumi, 1938-
                    De Jong Collection (University of Canterbury Library)
   Published:       Kyoto : Heirakuji Shoten, <1989-1990>
   Contents:        3. Ronsho hen -- 4. Mikkyo kyoten hen
   Subjects:        Buddhism -- Sacred books -- Bibliography.
                    Buddhist literature, Sanskrit -- Bibliography.
   Descr.:          v. <3-4> : ill. ; 27 cm.
   Notes:           Title on v. 3 added t.p.: A descriptive bibliography of the Sanskrit
                    Buddhist literature.
                    Errata slips inserted in v. 3-4.
                    Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
                    Bib#: 745457
   Location:        Central Library
   Collection:      Shelved on level 9
   Call #:          BQ 1105 .B713 1990

I had not known of this books existence. I will be off on my bicycle
directly after lunch ;-)

> I also suspect that many of the Nepalese mss have been microfilmed by
> the NGMPP.

I'll have to follow this up.

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

Richard Mahoney                mailto:rbm49 at ext.canterbury.ac.nz
78 Jeffreys Road                        telephone:+64-3-351-5831
Christchurch New Zealand                 cellular:+64-25-829-986