history of text of the Avesta

Vielle Christophe vielle at ORI.UCL.AC.BE
Fri Mar 29 08:23:03 UTC 2002

I think that the recent researches of Jean Kellens (Collège de France) on
the subject are important:
"Considérations sur l'histoire de l'Avesta", Journal asiatique 286, 1998,
p. 451-519.
(cf. the short English summary of the first part of that long study: "The
written period of transmission of the Avesta", Journal of the Research and
Historical Preservation Committe 2, Womelsdorf, 1996, p. 121-125).
See also:
Eric Pirart, "Le Mihr YaZt est-il le Mihr YaZt?", Studia Asiatica 1/1-2,
Bucarest, 2000, p. 77-113.

>Could anyone provide me with a bibliography of the process by which the
>text of the Avesta was generated, transmitted, fixed, and the transition
>to its being written down?  I am interested in possible parallels and
>divergences with these process in the case of the Vedas.
>
>I posted this on the largely quiescent Indo-Iranian group and got no
>response except for someone who expressed a similar interest.
>Thanks,
>
>Allen Thrasher
>

>Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
>
>Senior Reference Librarian       101 Independence Ave., SE
>Southern Asia Section               LJ-150
>Asian Division                            Washington, DC 20540-4810
>Library of Congress                     U.S.A.
>tel. 202-707-3732                       fax 202-707-1724
>Email: athr at loc.gov
>
>The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of the
>Library of Congress.

Dr. Christophe Vielle
Centre d'Etudes de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud
Institut orientaliste
Place Blaise Pascal 1
B - 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM
Tel. +32-(0)10-47 49 54 (office)/ -(0)2-640 62 66 (home)
E-mail: vielle at ori.ucl.ac.be