Ayurvedic immunisation system against smallpox

mccomas mccomas at CRES.ANU.EDU.AU
Sun Mar 24 21:25:51 UTC 2002

The Chinese technique for immunisation against smallpox is recorded on a
stele that still stands in front of the Jokhang in downtown Lhasa. I think
this is described by Hugh Richardson in his book on historical inscriptions
in Tibet. Interestingly, the stele came to possess medicinal properties in
its own right. For centuries people have ground the surface of the stele
with stones to collect the pulverised material for medicine. Ironically the
stele itself is now covered 'pock-marks'.

McComas