Bhishma´s death

Georg von Simson g.v.simson at EAST.UIO.NO
Tue Mar 5 15:44:15 UTC 2002

On March 4, Muneo Tokunaga wrote:

>Working on the S'aanti Parvan, I am interested right know particularly
>on the topic: exactly how long BhiiSma survived after his `death' on
>the tenth day of the Battle. Descriptions are confused in the epic. I
>suppose this topic will shed some light on the development of the
>epic. I shall be happy if I can exchange views with someone on this
>topic or I am informed of any article, which I don't know, discussing
>this topic.

I discuss the chronological problems of the Mahabharata battle in an
article ("Narrated time and its relation to the supposed Year Myth in
the Mbh.") published in Mary Brockington and Peter Schreiner (ed.):
Composing a Tradition: Concepts, Techniques and Relationships.
Zagreb, 1999, p. 49-66.

In Mbh. 13.153.27, shortly before his death, Bhisma mentions that he
has been lying on the bed of arrows for 58 nights. But you are right:
"Descriptions are confused in the epic." I, too, come to the
conclusion (p. 60):  "... there is no consistent chronology with
regard to the events around the battle. There seem to be different
traditions, incompatible to each other ..."

Best regards,
G.v.Simson