bhautika (-brahmacaarin)

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Jul 22 17:08:02 UTC 2002

There are two identical passage in the Kurma Purana (1.2.74-84) and
the Garuda Purana (1.49.6-19) that uses the term bhautika, but here
with reference to yogins. Of the four asramas, that of the mendicant
is divided into paarameSThika and yogin. The yogin is further
classified into Bhautika, Samkhya, and Atyaazramin. The meaning of
Bhautika here also is uncertain, but coming with Samkhya, it may
indicate some sort of philosophical background of these ascetics.
This appears to be a hierarchical arrangement, probably with some
Advaita infuence, where the atyasramin is placed at the head, Samkhya
in the middle, and Bhautika at the bottom.

Patrick