classic quote

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Tue Jul 9 15:33:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Julia Leslie wrote:

> Can anyone help me to locate the following 'classic quote'?
>
> tapaHzrutAbhyAM vihIno jAtibrAhmaNa eva saH
>
> I thought it was in the Mbh, but it appears not to be in the critical
> edition.

In the Vacaspatyam the following verse is cited under
"jAtibrAhmaNa":

tapaH zrutaM ca yoniz ca trayaM brAhmaNyakAraNam |
tapaHzrutAbhyAM yo hIno jAtibrAhmaNa eva saH ||

As reference is given "ZabdArthaci[ntAmaNi]". Apte gives the same
verse and reference s.v. By the way, the first part of the stanza
can found in the AnuzAsanaparvan of the Mahabharata (according to the
PratIka index).

Hope it helps
Peter Wyzlic

--
Indologisches Seminar der Universitaet Bonn
Regina-Pacis-Weg 7