Any suggestions!

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Jan 23 13:49:08 UTC 2002

Allen has indeed brought up an important question.  I wonder how one would
go about distinguishing between orthographic versus calligraphic
interpretation.  In my manuscript, I find zraatdha for zraaddha, zutdha for
zuddha, sitdha for siddha, batdha for baddha.  However, I found one
instance where one clearly reads prasiddha and not the expected prasitdha.
This one instance tells me that the copyist can calligraphically
distinguish between -tdha- and -ddha-, though in 99.99% of the cases, he
uses -tdha-.  With this data, what might one conclude?  Best,
                                        Madhav

--On Tuesday, January 22, 2002 11:51 AM -0500 Allen W Thrasher