Any suggestions!

marina orelskaya m_orelskaya at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 23 13:52:41 UTC 2002

I have been working with a Sanskrit MS produced in
Gujarat about the same time and also with some MSS in
Tamilnad (Tanjore and Chennai) transliterated from the
Grantha and Telugu scripts into Devanagari by the
local scholars (not Marathi speakers), apparently in
the 19th and the beginning of 20th c. The peculiarity
of writting 'ddha' as 'tdha' and even as 'tddha' (at
random) is quite common to all of these. Moreover, the
MS from Gujarat has been published by the Maharaja
Gaekwad Royal Court in Vadodara by a native of Pune
with the same 'tdha' in many places.
              Hope, this also helps.
                  Regards,
                Marina Orelskaya

Dr Marina Orelskaya
c/o Department of Sanskrit
and Prakrit Languages
University of Pune
Ganeshkhind Road
Pune 411007
Maharashtra
India

--- Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at UMICH.EDU> wrote:
> While editing a Sanskrit manuscript produced in the
> Marathi area around
> 1824 A.D., I find that the copyist consistently
> writes sitdham for Skt.
> siddham.  There are some other features of this
> manuscript which seem to
> relate to the local pronunciation of
> Marathi/Sanskrit, e.g. braa.mhma.na.
> I wonder what can one make of the spelling sitdham.
> It is no major crisis
> for my editing task, but any suggestions on sitdham
> are welcome.  Regional
> speech habits? I, a Marathi speaker, can pronounce
> sitdha only if I hold
> the closure for 't' longer, effectively separating
> the syllables with a
> gap, but not otherwise. Best,
>
>                                             Madhav
Deshpande